Code of Conduct
Under Section 440 of the NSW Local Government Act 1993 Councils must adopt a Model Code of Conduct that incorporates the provisions of the Model Code set down by the Office of Local Government. The Model Code of Conduct sets the minimum requirements of conduct for Council officials in the exercise of their functions. The Model Code is prescribed within the NSW Local Government (General) Regulations 2005.
Council's Code of Conduct is developed to assist Council officials to:
- Understand the standards of conduct that are expected of them.
- Enable them to fulfill their statutory duty to act honestly and exercise a reasonable degree of care and diligence.
- Act in a way that enhances public confidence in the integrity of Local Government.
Maitland City Council adopted the Code of Conduct by Council resolution on the 26 April 2016.
How can I obtain a copy of the Code?
A copy of Council's Code of Conduct can be accessed via the following options;
- Download an electronic copy of the Model Code of Conduct
- Visit Council's Customer Service Centre located in Council's Administration Building at 285 - 287 High Street Maitland during the hours of 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday - Thursday or 8.30am - 4.30pm on Fridays.
What if I have information regarding an alleged breach of the Code of Conduct?
Any person, whether or not a Council official, may make a complaint alleging a breach of the Code of Conduct. If you have information regarding such an alleged breach you can report that information in the following ways;
- You should report suspected breaches of the Code of Conduct by Councillors, members of Council staff (excluding the General Manager) or delegates, to the General Manager in writing.
- Where you believe that the General Manager has breached the Code of Conduct, you should report the matter to the Mayor in writing.
You must outline the content of the alleged breach in writing and send to: Maitland City Council PO Box 220 Maitland NSW 2320