Note: All historic cemeteries are not operational.
Maitland’s oldest burial ground, the East Maitland Glebe Cemetery, is scenically located on gently sloping land, overlooking the flood plain of Wallis Creek. The earliest monument date is Andrew Sparke (died 18/11/1830) but earlier unmarked graves are probable. The title to the Cemetery was conveyed to Maitland City Council in 1994 from the Church of England Trustees.
A Conservation Management Plan for the cemetery was prepared in 2014 to provide Council with guidance for its conservation and care.
The plan outlines a number of priority recommendations which form the basis of a conservation works program which commenced in 2016. This includes include a monument safety assessment, resurvey of the whole site, an assessment of all monuments and preparation a phased program of works. Stage Two will commence implementation of identified priority works.
A principle objective of the plan is the retention and conservation of all existing monuments and materials at the cemetery site. Currently, only 3 out of 197 monuments are in good condition. 13 have been assessed to be in fair condition, and 181 are in poor condition. The conservation program for Glebe Cemetery centres around making the site accessible, interpretable, and meaningful for visitors.
Oakhampton Cemetery is located on Oakhampton Road Oakhampton and the first recorded burial was in 1851. The cemetery is of Wesleyan denomination. The mid-nineteenth cemetery is on the banks of the Hunter River at Oakhampton. It is difficult to determine the precise number of monuments due to large amounts of river silt, which has completely covered some monuments. There is a good range of craftmanship and design on display - particularly the stonemasons Browne & Cobby are dominant. Mr William Arnott, the founder of Arnotts Buscuits, and his family are buried here.
Oswald cemetery is a small, simple country cemetery situated between Greta and Lochinvar off the New England Highway - Oswald Road Lochinvar. The cemetery still has its nineteenth century landscape and plantings intact. The cemetery contains a wide range of simple mid to late Victorian monuments all sited within an attractive rural landscape.
Hiland Crescent Cemetery is located on Hiland Crescent East Maitland. It is a mid nineteenth century cemetery with an excellent collection of very stylish and eclectic stone monuments of particular design significance. Wild olive bushes and patches of shamrock are regenerating over the site with some old roses and jasmine surviving among the graves. Pre-dominant use of sandstone in the headstones with smaller scale headstones located in the upper section and larger scale monuments in the lower section. The first recorded burial in the cemetery was 1840.
Maitland Jewish Cemetery Louth Park
On the north side of Ross Lane Maitland are forty four (44) burials on 0.6 ha of land. This Jewish Cemetery is one of only three provincial cemeteries in New South Wales, the others being in Tamworth and Goulburn. The Cemetery is totally Jewish, with most of the stones inscribed in Hebrew and having unique symbolism. The Australian Jewish Historical Society advises that the motif of outstretched hands with divided fingers is usually found on the memorials of a member of the Cohen (Priest) family. It is the sign, which a Priest makes when bestowing a blessing and is known as the sign of the priestly blessing. The National Trust has classified the cemetery.