REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN
The Maitland Green
Communities Program aims to see Council staff engage with the
local community to foster an interest in the environment of which we are all a
The Green Communities Program will see interested communities
educated through kerbside education talks and the implementation of improved
in-home environmental practices.
By participating in the program your neighbourhood will be provided with education on the following environmental topics:
- backyard vegetable gardens: learn how to establish a backyard vegetable garden, and the sort of vegetables and fruits that can be grown in your backyard.
- waste management: learn what can be recycled around the Maitland local government area, and how to establish your own worm farm or compost bin.
- stormwater management: learn what stormwater is, how your everyday activities have the potential to impact on its quality and where your stormwater goes.
- energy and water use: learn how to undertake a self-guided home energy and water audit to reduce your water and energy use.
- green cleaning: learn how to create household cleaning products from items in your pantry that are not harmful for the environment.
- food waste: learn how to purchase, store and use food to reduce your food waste
- planting native vegetation: learn what species are native to your local environment, how to prepare for planting and maintaining native species, and why it is important to plant native vegetation.
Each session will run for no longer than 1 hour and include an information talk, question time with presenters and useful pamphlets for residents to take away and read. Workshops will be held at the kerbside in the chosen street allowing residents easy access and a local community focus. The presentations will be held over a series of weeks at a time most suitable to the registered residents. At the conclusion of each workshop participants will be provided with resources that they can use to implement the specific workshop topic.
To nominate your street to participate in the Program please download and complete the participant Expression of Interest Form below and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Forms can also be printed, filled out and mailed to Environmental Strategy and Programs, Maitland City Council, PO Box 220, Maitland 2320 or delivered to Councils Administration Building at 285-287 High Street, Maitland.