Environmental Health & Compliance

In this section you will find information on the following topics:

Swimming Pools

Swimming pools are fun and are becoming an increasingly popular way to escape from the heat of summer. All pool owners and those considering installing one should be aware that with those pools comes responsibility. New swimming pools require development consent if the pool will hold more than 2000 litre capacity. Contact Council’s duty Building Surveyor 8.30 to 12.30 each day to check the requirements. Existing pools must have their barriers maintained. Council conducts inspections on pool barriers upon request, and in some cases, pool barrier inspections are mandatory. Check the links below for more information.

Food Premises

Hairdressing, Beauty & Skin Penetration Premises 

Under the provisions of the NSW Public Health Act and Regulation all premises that practice any skin penetration procedures must notify/register with Council.  (see link below to ‘Maitland City Council Notification Form’). 

Skin penetration procedures can include:

  • Acupuncture
  • Tattooing*
  • Hair removal
  • Colonic lavage
  • Ear/body piercing
  • Cosmetic enhancement
  • Blood cholesterol and glucose measurement
  • Beauty treatments 
 *Tattooists who operate in NSW must be licensed with NSW Fair Trading.
Premises used for skin penetration procedures must be fitted out in accordance with the provisions of Part 4, Division 2 of the Public Health Regulation 2012, and,  Part 3 Division 1, and Schedule 2 of the Local Government Regulation 2005. 
New/proposed businesses may require separate development consent from Council to fit-out and occupy premises for practices that include skin penetration procedures. Prospective business owners/operators are encouraged to contact Council’s Duty Town Planner between 8.30am and 12.30pm, (Monday-Friday), for advice concerning development consent. Note that ‘development consent’ does not include ‘registration’ of the business.
A home based business that involves any skin penetration procedures requires development consent from Council.
A home based hairdresser business that does not incorporate skin penetration may not require development consent from Council subject to compliance with State exempt development provisions,  (see ‘NSW Legislation, State Environmental Planning Policy-Exempt & Complying Development Codes 2008’ – home businesses, home industries and home occupations.) 
Any queries regarding the fit-out/registration of a premises incorporating skin penetration should be directed to Council’s Environmental Health Officer, 02 4934 9700.
You should also refer to the NSW Health website that provides a number of information factsheets relating to the skin penetration industry.


Links to further information: