Rates Information

Why do you pay rates and charges?

Rates and charges are approximately 50% of our income. The funds are used for, libraries, street lighting, swimming pools, roads, parks, sporting fields and both providing and maintaining facilities and services to the community. 

When do you pay your rates and charges?

Rates are levied on a financial year cycle and can be paid in full by the 31st August or you can elect to pay the total amount by four equal quarterly instalments due 31st August, 30th November, 28th February and the 31st May. The current interest rate on overdue rates is 7.5% per annum. 

How are rates calculated?

Before rates are calculated Council is required to categorise land into one of four categories, residential, farming, business or mining. Council then levies its rates on the land value as determined by the NSW Valuer General. These values are determined on a three year cycle. A recent valuation occurred in 2016 with the land values being used for rating as from 1 July 2017.

As Maitland Council's area is part of the Hunter Valley, Maitland City Council also levies a Hunter Central Rivers Catchment Management Rate. The total amount levied is around $670,000 this current financial year and the amount collected is remitted monthly to Hunter Local Land Services less 5% commission, retained by Council. We also levy an annual charge for domestic waste removal. This provides for a weekly domestic service plus a fortnightly recycle service and a fortnightly garden organics service.  240 litre bins are provided and the charge is $482.05 in 2017/18.

How does Council set its rates?

Annually around mid May Council places on exhibition it's draft operational plan for the next financial year. The plan gives details of rates and charges proposed to be levied for the ensuing financial year. During the exhibition period of 28 days you can lodge a comment on any part of the plan.  

Payment Methods

Rates and charges can be paid by the following methods:

  1. By Mail;
  2. In Person;
  3. At any Australian post office or at any Australia Post outlet or using your credit card through Postbillpay phone or internet service;
  4. Directly debiting your Bank account;
  5. Telephone & Internet Banking - Bpay;
  6. Over the internet from Council's homepage (click here for Rates Payments).

Permissible Rate Income increases given to Council during the past 5 years and the amount taken up by this Council are as follows:

2017/2018 7.25%  7.25% 
2016/2017 7.25% 7.25%
2015/2016 7.25% 7.25%
2014/2015 7.25% 7.25% 
2013/2014 3.4% 3.4%

We currently have 33,330 rate assessments with an annual increase of around 500. Residential growth would take up most of this increase, followed by industrial. 

Who is eligible for Rates concessions?

Under State legislation some pensioners are eligible for mandatory concessions. The amounts of the concessions available on an annual basis are fixed by legislation. At present this statutory concession is limited to $250 for ordinary rates and charges for domestic waste management services combined.

If you receive a pension or benefit you may be eligible for a mandatory concession even though someone else may jointly own and occupy the property. Please refer to Council's Pensioner Concession policy for more information or contact Council's Revenue Team.

Eligibility Criteria

  1. You must be an eligible pensioner.
  2. The legislation prescribes eligible pensioners to be:
    • persons who receive a pension, benefit or allowance under chapter 2 of the Social Security Act 1991 of the Commonwealth, or a service pension under Part III of the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 of the Commonwealth, and who are holders of a pensioner concession card issued by or on behalf of the Commonwealth Government or
    • persons who receive a pension from the Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs as the widow or widower of a member of the Australian Defence or Peacekeeping Forces, or
    • the unmarried mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of those Forces or
    • the widower mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of those Forces and who do not have income and assets that would prevent them from being granted a pensioner concession card (assuming they were eligible for such a card) or
    • persons who have received a lump sum mentioned in section 234(1)(b) of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 of the Commonwealth or are receiving a weekly amount mentioned in that paragraph, and do not have income and assets that would prevent them from being granted a pensioner concession card (assuming they were eligible for such a card), orpersons who receive a general rate of pension adjusted for extreme disablement under section 22(4) of the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 of the Commonwealth, or a special rate of pension under section 24 of that Act, or
    • persons who receive, or who at some point in their life have been eligible for, a Special Rate Disability Pension under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 of the Commonwealth.
  3. You must occupy the dwelling for which a concession is sought as your sole or principal place of living.
  4. Evidence of eligibility will be required.
  5. Persons who become or cease to be eligible pensioners during the year will receive a concession proportionate to the number of full quarters in which they are an eligible pensioner.

Rates Forms 

Online Rates Payments

Click here to proceed to our Online Rates Payment System.