- Ordering new waste or recycling bins (PDF - 71.9kb)
- Waste collection days
- Damaged or stolen waste bins
- Damaged or stolen recycling bins
Waste Disposal at Mt Vincent Road Waste Management Centre
- Operating hours
- Contact details
- Disposal fees
- Free tip vouchers
- Differential pricing
- Mulch loading times
- Green waste recycling trial program
- Disposal of asbestos
- Materials accepted for recycling
- Prohibited materials
- Pollution Incident response plan
Weighbridge: 4934 1888 Facsimile: 4934 4575
Address: 109 Mt Vincent Road East Maitland
Please click on link for location to the waste depot at Mt Vincent Waste Depot Map.
ALL PRICES INCLUDE THE STATE GOVERNMENT WASTE LEVY OF $120.90 PER TONNE
|Waste/recycling Types||Disposal fee (incl GST)|
|Municipal Waste - Mixed waste|
|Mixed municipal waste||$285.00 per tonne|
|Mixed commercial waste||$285.00 per tonne|
| Special waste (bulky waste, dead
animals, dusty waste, odorous
waste, difficult to compact waste)
|$370.50 per tonne|
|Bulk polystyrene||$2,000 per tonne|
|Construction & Demolition Waste|
|Mixed construction & demolition waste||$285.00 per tonne|
|Asbestos||$370.50 per tonne|
| Concrete, bricks, roof tiles (concrete
or terracotta) - uncontaminated
|$166.00 per tonne|
| Virgin excavated natural material (VENM)
- certified (up to operational requirements)
|$133.00 per tonne
| Virgin excavated natural material (VENM)
- certified (above operational requirements)
|$285.00 per tonne|
|Vegetation & Timber|
| Vegetation, prunings, timber (non-
treated, non-painted, nails removed,
|$285.00 per tonne|
| Vegetation delivered Saturdays and
Sundays (for Maitland resident's only) -excluding
|Mattresses||$27.50 per unit|
|Electronic waste (up to 17 items)||No charge|
|Electronic waste (more than 17 items)||$285.00 per tonne|
|Gas bottles (empty)||No charge|
| General recyclables (cardboard,
paper, bottles, cans, plastics) - up to
1 wheelie bin (excluding commercially generated
|Scrap metal, white goods||No charge|
|Vehicle batteries||No charge|
|Used engine oil (up to 20 litres)||No charge|
|Motorbike tyre||$2.00 per tyre|
|Car tyre||$4.00 per tyre|
|Car tyre on rim||$9.50 per tyre|
|Tractor tyre||$34.00 per tyre|
|Light truck tyre (4 x 4)||$8.50 per tyre|
|Heavy truck tyre||$16.00 per tyre|
|Truck tyre on rim||$34.00 per tyre|
|Minimum fee - (for loads less than 40kgs)||$23.00|
Each domestic premises in the City of Maitland that is paying the Domestic Waste Management Charge is entitled to one free tip voucher per year. Council sends the tip vouchers to the occupant of the premises every July. Residents are then able to use the voucher to dispose of domestic waste at the Mt Vincent Rd Waste Management Centre.
It is important for residents to check the back of the tip voucher for conditions of use as not all waste types and quantities are accepted. The following conditions apply for 2014/15:
- Vouchers can only be used by persons residing at the address shown overleaf (photo ID may be required)
- Vouchers can only be used for domestic waste
- Vouchers cannot be used for building, construction or commercial waste, soil, tyres, mattresses or mattress bases
- Vouchers can only be used for loads up to 400kg. Waste in excess of 400kg will be charged at the applicable disposal fees
- This voucher is non-transferable and is not redeemable
- Vouchers must be presented in its original form (no copies) at the Waste Management Centre to receive free entry
- Only one voucher will be issued to each household in the Maitland Local Government Area
Residents are reminded that it makes a lot of sense to separate waste and recyclables particularly for those larger loads above 400kg that will attract a charge. As many recyclables such as paper, cardboard and bottles, metal items, white goods and car bateries are accepted free of charge, separating recyclables and unloading them in the appropriate areas at the Waste Management Centre can save a lot of money.
On 1 January 2014, Maitland City Council changed the waste and recycling disposal fees and introduced differential pricing at its Mt Vincent Rd Waste Management Centre.
Differential pricing essentially means charging lower fees for recyclables and higher fees for mixed waste that cannot be recycled and must therefore be landfilled.
The purpose of differential pricing is to encourage recycling and to maximise the amount of waste diverted from the landfill.
The disposal of household recyclables such as paper, cardboard and bottles, metal items and car batteries are now free and the disposal of concrete and bricks is at a much lower cost than before.
All vehicles including domestic trailers and utilities are now weighed and disposal fees are charged on the actual weight of waste disposed off rather than applying a fixed fee based on the type of vehicle carrying the waste.
Residents can make significant savings if they separate their recyclables from waste and unload the different materials in the correct recycling areas at the Waste Management Centre.
10 am, 12 noon, 1 pm for collection of mulch only.
Cost for collection of mulch is as follows:
Trailer load - $5.50
Per cubic metre - $11.00
Council introduced the trial green waste recycling initiative to reduce the amount of greenwaste being disposed of to landfill.
Under the initiative residents of Maitland are able to transport household quanties of green waste to the landfill site on weekends and receive a trailer load of mulch free of charge for use on their garden.
The service is unlimited to the number of greenwaste disposals per year.
Did you know that as of January 2008 you are now required to hold a NSW Workcover licence to remvoe 10m2 or more of bonded asbestos and any amount of friable asbestos. Further information can be found below in the NSW Workcover documents.
Normal landfill fees apply for the disposal of asbestoes as well as an additional charge for burial. All asbestos is to be wetted down and wrapped in heavy duty black plastic. The staff at the site are to be notified 24 hours in advance prior to delivery of asbestos contaminated material. At this time, directions will be given in relation to dumping of the contaminated load at this site.
For further information on the safe handling of Asbestos please click on the following links below:-
The following items recycled at the waste Management Centre:
- old car batteries
- used motor oil
- concrete, brick and roof tiles
- scrap metal
- cardboard, paper and general recyclables *will attract a disposal fee
The following Wastes and Substances are prohibited from disposal at this depot:
- Liquid waste of any description
- Radioactive material
- Any inflammable liquid or material derived from grease, oil, tar, petroleum, shale or coal
- Any material or sludge being the refuse from any industrial process, carried on in:
- Any tanning or leather processing plant
- Any petroleum or petrochemical plant
- Any chemical plant
- Any paint manufacturing plant
- Any metal treatment plant
- Any vegetable oil or mineral oil plant
- Any pharmaceutical or drug manufacturing plan
- Any material containing:
- Any toxic soluble salt of the following:
- Any pesticide or kerbicide and in particular any:
- Chlorinated hydrocarbons
- Fluorinated hydrocarbons
- Any Soluble acid or alkali or acidic or basic compounds
- Human tissues or body waste
Council is required to have in place a Landfille incident Response Management Plan which details the site strategic approach that Maitland City Council will have in relation to reporting, manageing and communicating a pollution incident at the Mount Vincent Waste Management Facility.
To obtain a copy of the community summary of this document click the link below.
The illegal dumping of waste poses a health and safety risk to all residents in the Maitland local government area. The dumping of waste in bushland, along roadsides and in river channels results in the environment becoming aesthetically unpleasing and has the potential to impact on the environment with chemicals able to leach into waterways, weeds able to escape into native bushland, and wildlife, birds and fish potentially becoming tangled in waste.
Should you observe someone dumping waste in an inappropriate location you are requested to “Dob In the Dumper” by contacting Council on 4934 9700 as soon as possible after the incident with details of the location, date and time you observed the incident, the type of waste dumped, and a description of the vehicle observed dumping the waste (with registration details if applicable). Any other details are also helpful.
Council wishes to advise that under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act, 1997 Council can issue on the spot fines for illegal dumping.
Download a copy of Councils Dob In A Dumper brochure:
Dob In A Dumper Brochure (PDF - 273kb)
Earthworks - Do You Need Approval (PDF - 1.19MB)
Best Practice Earthmoving (PDF - 1.21MB)
Illegal Dumping Brochure (PDF - 580kb)
- Avalon Estate (Thornton)
- Greenhills (except Mitchell Drive, Garnett Road, Alfred Close which are Wednesdays)
- East Maitland (Greenhills side of Highway)
- Millers Forest
- Maitland Park
- East Maitland (Metford side of highway)
- Thornton (except Avalon Estate which is Mondays)
- Phoenix Park
- Tenambit/East Maitland (To railway line Victoria Street)
- Tocal Road (Collection only goes to Tocal Collage)
- Maitland Vale Road to Campbell Road
- Greenhills Business District - Mitchell Dr, Garnett Rd, Alfred Close
- Maitland, including Mt Carmel Retirement Village
- Rutherford (Aberglasslyn side of highway)
- Gosforth/Anambah Road
- Horseshoe Bend
- Gillieston Heights
- Rutherford (Farley side of highway)
- Windella Downs
- Louth Park
- Maitland Vale (Campbell Road)
- Bishops Bridge
- To Orient Street Greta
- Maitland Park
Collection services do not operate on Christmas Day, Garbage will be collected the following day.
Cemetery Collection Services
East Maitland Collected Monday
Telarah collected Friday
Commercial Waste Services (Maitland CBD only)
Brown Lid (1 service per week) collected Wednesday
Blue Lid (2 Services per week) collected Wednesday and Friday
Purple Lid (3 Services per Week) Collected Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Other Commercial Waste Services
Commercial waste services in suburban areas (except Maitland CBD) are collected on the normal domestic garbage collection days.
Contact Phone: 49217600
Contractor: Michael O’Connor – Cessnock City Council
Contact Phone: 49910354
Please contact the following:-
Maitland City Council
Contact Phone: 4934 9700
Please contact the following:-
Contractor: Hunter Resource Recovery (HRR)
Contact Phone: 1800 838884
Service: All requests for repairs to recycling bins, replacement of stolen bins are to be forwarded to HRR, for works to be undertaken. HRR requires an event number for any stolen bin.
To reduce the amount of household food and organic waste being disposed of to landfill, Councils Administration Building has available for sale compost bins and worm farms.
Compost bins are available for sale at $37.00 incl GST and worm farms are available for sale for $77.00 incl GST.
For information on Recycling in Maitland please visit the 'Our Environment' section of Council's website.