The steps after lodgement

If you've lodged your application and are wondering what happens next, here we explain the process that occurs after lodgement.

1. Initial review and acknowledgement

Your application will be reviewed to ensure that property owner consent has been given, all supporting documents are attached and fees have been paid. After your application has undergone the initial review you will receive an acknowledgement. This will include an application number which you will need to provide when making enquiries or providing additional information and allows you to track the progress of your application online.

2. Notifying adjoining property owners/advertising

Just as you would want to be informed if your neighbours were planning work that may impact you, many development applications are required to be publicly notified or advertised. This allows interested parties to make comments through the application tracker, within a specified time frame.

You will be notified if your application is required to be publicly notified or advertised and the time period in which submissions will be accepted.

3. Assessing your application

Your application is assigned to a planner, building surveyor or engineer who will review the impacts of your proposal. You can follow the progress of your application using the application tracker.

4. Determination of the outcome

You will receive a determination notice on the outcome of your development application.

Should your DA not be approved your determination of the outcome outlines the reasons and provides details on the steps you can take should you wish for a review or appeal of the decision.

What happens after I've received DA approval?

Your approval has come through, however this is often just the first steps. Outlined within your determination notice will be requirements for how to carry out your development.

It is important to understand that you may have further approvals to obtain before starting work and that any work is carried out in accordance with the conditions set out in your determination notice.

If your proposal includes building or construction work, you'll need to obtain a Construction Certificate.

What happens if I need to make modifications after receiving DA approval?

If you need to make changes to an approved DA you will need to lodge an application under Section 96 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act.

There are different section 96 applications, depending on the nature and complexity of the changes being sought, however the application to 'modify a consent' (S96) is used for them all. There is an application fee payable at the time of lodgement.

Council’s Duty Officers can provide further advice in relation to the relevant application and fee as well as the supporting documentation and information required. They can be contacted on 02 4934 9700