Maitland is one of the fastest growing areas in Australia with a growth rate consistently above 2 percent per annum. Our city supports over 28,000 jobs, with the health care, retail and construction sectors leading employment.
- Maitland is one of the fastest growing regional cities in NSW, now home to over 86,000 residents
- The Maitland local government area is home to over 28,000 jobs
- Health care and social assistance is the number one sector for employment, accounting for over 16 percent of local jobs
- Financial and insurance services account for over 30 percent of the 23,000 plus registered businesses in the Maitland region
- Maitland's total business output is estimated at $9.7 billion, with our largest contributor construction generating $1.75 billion
- Rental, hire and real estate services represent 15.6 percent of Maitland's total $4.67 billion value added across all industries
- Maitland's Gross Regional Product (GRP) is estimated at $5.09 billion and represents 8.95precent of the Hunter Region's GRP
When planning for economic development, the goal is to create and maintain a strong, vibrant local economy.
Council, together with a broad range of stakeholders, will prepare an Economic Development Strategy for Maitland. Objectives will be focused on creating the conditions for Maitland to prosper and to ensure that the local economy continues to grow and that the workforce is suitably skilled to support future economic growth.
Responsibility for achieving these outcomes will sit with a range of stakeholders, from Council and government organisations through to the local business community.
If you own or operate a business in Maitland, or are passionate about Maitland's economic future, we would be pleased to gather your input.
Want to be involved?
Please register your interest via the email address below.