Skin penetration, beauty and hairdressing
If you are thinking of purchasing or opening a beauty salon, tattoo shop, hairdresser or barber shop it is best to speak with Council’s Duty Planning Officer on 02 4934 9700 (available 8.30am to 12.30pm Monday to Friday at Council's administration building).
The Duty Planning Officer will advise you if development consent is required for your business. If development consent is required, then you will need to lodge the appropriate application along with the applicable fee for Council to assess.
Once you have been given consent or if Council's Duty Planning Officer advises that you do not need consent, you will then need to register your business with Council (see instructions below).
Under the provision of the NSW Public Health Act 2010 and NSW Public Health Regulation 2012 all premises which perform a skin penetration procedure are regulated and required to register with Council.
A skin penetration procedure (whether medical or not) includes:
- Hair removal
- Colonic lavage
- Ear/body piercing
- Cosmetic enhancement
- Blood cholesterol and glucose measurement
- Beauty treatments.
You will need to contact Council’s Compliance Team on 02 4934 9700 at least 48 hours before you plan to commence trade so that an inspection can take place. Once the inspection has been completed you will be advised by the officer whether it is ok to start trade or if further works are required.
For queries regarding the fit out and or registration of a premises incorporating skin penetration speak with Council’s Environmental Health Officer on 02 4934 9700.
Once operational, inspections are carried out on a risk based program, or as a result of a complaint. Council does not routinely inspect hairdressers/barbers unless razor cuts or shaving procedures are undertaken.
- Tattoo Parlours (NSW Fair Trading)
- Tattooing and other body art - hygiene standards (NSW Health)
- Eyeball Tattooing (NSW Health)
- Beauty Treatment - hygiene standards (NSW Health)
- Body Piercing - hygiene requirements (NSW Health)
- Cleaning and Disinfection of Foot Spas (NSW Health)
- Colonic Lavage (or colonic irrigation) - hygiene standards (NSW Health)
- Hairdressing and Barbers - Hygiene Standards (NSW Health)
- How to sterilise your instruments and comply with the Public Health Regulation 2012 (NSW Health)
- Nail Treatment (manicures and pedicures) - hygiene standards (NSW Health)
- Waxing - hygiene standards (NSW Health)