Walka for teachers
With the all new syllabus' being implemented from 2017, this website provides resources which can be applied under three areas - History, Science and Geography.
The most opportunities are perhaps under the new geography syllabus including sections on environment, landscape, flora and fauna. The Science syllabus also offers opportunities in the section 'Natural Environment through understanding about the Physical World, Earth and Space' and 'Living World'.
Teachers are encouraged to explore opportunities presented in the Blooms Matrix, which reference learning outcomes, and demonstrate how active participation can support teacher directions.
Teaching aids have been developed for excursions to Walka including a downloadable Explorers Walking Guide and other resources accessible from this website.
The Walka Image Gallery provides a rich array of historical photos and plans of Walka.
The following teacher resources are also available for download:
- Blooms Matrix
- Risk Assessment
- Curriculum Resources Guide
- Teacher's notes
- Information Signs
- Explorers Walking Guide
On site facilities have been developed to support excursions to the site including:
- A seating area for small groups at the ecology viewing platform. The seats have been manufactured from recycled plastic and by installing this furniture approximately 157,500 plastic packages have been diverted from landfill
- Two information signs, one located at the pumphouse picnic area and another at the ecology platform (located halfway around the well signposted lake trail circuit)
- Marked viewing areas positioned around the lake trail which present the best opportunities for observing birdlife
- Picnic areas for large and small groups near the pumphouse complex
- Amenities near the pumphouse complex.