The Riverlink at The Levee
The Levee is Central Maitland’s lifestyle precinct, offering a range of dining and entertainment options, a blend of small business and national retail stores and professional services. The multi-award winning Riverlink Building is both an architectural icon and a functioning gathering space that connects the precinct to the river.
The $20 million Levee Development was the first major overhaul of a public space in Central Maitland since 1988, with the intention to be a catalyst for change, not only for The Levee precinct, but for Central Maitland.
The Development was completed in two stages, with component one focusing on reopening of High Street through the creation of a shared zone including one way traffic and component two focusing on the creation of The Riverlink, the connection from High Street to the Riverside Walk and the banks of the Hunter River.
Adjacent to the Hunter River, The Levee Precinct is the perfect backdrop linking the city to the Hunter River. Set in the heart of The Levee, The Riverlink includes a public space which hosts a range of events, such as Live at the Levee, flagship events and many other place activations throughout the year.
The below short documentary takes you on a journey through the early days of Maitland’s turbulent relationship with the Hunter River to the revitalisation of Central Maitland and the important connection through The Riverlink.
To find out more about The Levee precinct, visit thelevee.com.au
- 2018 World Architecture Festival – Civic and Community – Completed Buildings
- 2019 National Architecture Awards
- The Walter Burley Griffin Award for Urban Design
- Award for Public Architecture
- 2019 NSW Architecture Awards
- NSW Architecture Medallion
- Sulman Medal for Public Architecture
- Award for Urban Design
- Blacket Prize
- 2019 Australian Urban Design Awards - Built Projects, City and Regional Scale
- 2019 The Good Design Award – The Chicago Athenaeum International Architecture Award – Civic and Community Centers
- 2019 INDE.Awards – The Building2018 Blueprint Awards - Winner, Best Public Project with Public Funding
- 2019 Architizer A+ Awards – Finalist
- National Trust 2019 Heritage Award – Highly Commended – Continuing Tradition
- Newcastle Architecture Awards – Public Architecture
- Newcastle Architecture Awards – Urban Design
- Newcastle Architecture Awards – Newcastle Jury Prize
- 2018 Think Brick Awards – High Commendation for the New Entrant Award
- 2018 Architizer A+ Award – Popular Choice Winner - Concepts - Plus-Architecture +Urban Transformation