Find a current opening
It’s a simple and stress free process to join our team at Maitland City Council.
As you progress through each step, our recruitment team will be in contact to keep you in the loop of where things are up to.
The application process
Find a vacancy
- Review the job advertisement including the responsibilities, job criteria, salary, and closing date
- Speak to the job contact person who can answer any of your questions.
- Submit your resume with your personal details, education and qualifications, skills and achievements, and referees
- Add a short cover letter to personalise your application.
Meet with us
- After reviewing the applications, our recruitment team will reach out about a meeting.
- Meetings will typically consist of three staff members who will ask questions about your personality, your past experiences, and how they relate to the essential criteria.
- You will be able to ask questions to better understand the role and our organisation to help decide whether the position is what you’re after.
- Over the course of a few weeks, our recruitment team will complete screening checks like working with children, qualification and licence and employment history.
- We will then seek your approval to contact your referees to help us learn more about you.
- If you are unsuccessful at this point, we will contact you and provide constructive feedback about your application and meeting.
- We use all the information we’ve gathered from the application, meeting and referee checks to make our decision and possible employment offer.
- If you receive an offer, we’ll give you some time to review it and to chat through any enquiries you may have.
- Even if you are not successful for the applied position, we may add your details to an eligibility list for future roles.
- If you’re wanting to accept your offer after reviewing it, we will send you all the relevant documents such as the employment contract, role charter and staff handbook.
- Together we will confirm a starting date, and you will then begin the onboarding stage and be welcomed into your time here at Maitland City Council.
Tips for applying
Use the STAR method
We suggest using the STAR method for addressing your role’s criteria.
Explain the situation and it’s context
Explain what your role was
Explain what you did and how you did it
Explain the outcome and what you achieved
Preparing for your interview:
- Research Maitland City Council
Research our website and familiarise yourself with our organisation.
- Think about the questions you may be asked
Remember the questions will relate to the role charter, so prepare examples.
- Prepare a list of your achievements
Prepare achievements that relate to the selection criteria, such as problems you have overcome, demands you have faced, projects you have completed or where you have added value to an organisation.
- Allow extra time
Leave plenty of time before your interview for unexpected delays to ensure you are not late.
During the interview:
- Ask for time to think
If required, it’s okay to advise the panel that you need a moment to think about your response.
- Use the S.T.A.R. method
Ensure you answer the question using the STAR approach in the same way you did for your application.
- The more information the better
Please give us as much information as possible. Don’t sell yourself short.
- Ask questions
The interview is also an opportunity for you to learn about the role and our organisation. Make sure you ask us questions too.
- Bring the relevant documents
Bring copies of your licences and qualifications and present these to the panel at the end of your interview.