Emergencies and disasters
During an emergency or disaster it's important to know who you can call for help, or how you can get the latest update on emergency situations.
- For live updates on road closures visit Live Traffic NSW, or Council's Road Closure page for local closure information
- For live radio updates across Newcastle and the Hunter tune into 1233 ABC Newcastle
- If you require emergency assistance please call NSW SES on 132 500 or Triple Zero 000. The SES is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
- Weather updates and flood warnings visit the Bureau of Meteorology
- Total fire bans visit the Rural Fire Service (note that Maitland is included in the NSW Fire Area 3)
- Fires Near Me displays all bush and grass fires attended by fire services in NSW and other incidents attended by NSW Rural Fire Service attendees.
- For power outages visit Ausgrid for updates or contact 13 13 88 for emergencies or 13 13 65 for enquiries.
- Recovery Services - Disaster Welfare Services can provide relief grants to eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household items have been destroyed or damaged by a declared natural disaster. People with limited financial resources and no
insurance may be eligible for assistance for essential household items and structural repairs to the home. For details of other assistance schemes, please visit Emergency NSW or call State Disaster Welfare on 1800 018 444.
Arrangements for, prevention of, preparation for, response to and recovery from emergencies with the Maitland Local Government Area are covered by the Maitland Local Emergency Management Plan
GET READY MAITLAND
When disaster hits, NSW Government and emergency management agencies will try to help but you need to get ready as well. Every year flood, fire and other disasters affect peoples' lives and may cause millions of dollars in property damage. Being prepared can save lives and help you and your family make better decisions when disaster strikes.
Are you ready?