How are my rates calculated?
Rates are calculated by three (3) factors:
Firstly, each property is categorised into either:
- Business, or
Each category has a different rate variable.
The rate variable of your Land Category is then multiplied by your Land Valuation, which creates your rate calculation. This means:
- Land Category rate variable x Land Valuation = Rate Calculation
Lastly, your costs for services are added to your Rates Calculation, which creates your total annual rates amount. These services include:
- Bin services
- Stormwater management fee
- Hunter Catchment Contributions.
What do my rates contribute to?
Rates contribute to many of the services and infrastructure we enjoy.
Rates and charges make up about 55% of Council’s yearly income, with the rest coming from grants, development contributions, user fees, and interest and investment revenue.
Rates money is used for:
- Construction and maintenance of roads, footpaths and cycleways
- Street lighting
- Parks, sporting fields, and the pools
- Art Gallery
- Council’s community halls, facilities and services
Future projects and services
You can find out information about future projects and services that your rates will be contributing to in the Delivery Program.