Types of applications

This brief explanation into the various types of applications and certificates is provided to assist you navigate your way through what could be involved in your project.

Development application (DA)

A development application (DA) is a formal request to Council to build or carry out various types of development such as:

  • Building a residential, commercial or industrial building
  • Making alterations or additions to existing residential, commercial or industrial building/property
  • Changing the use of an existing building or premises (Note: If you are taking over an existing business, it is recommended that you check with Council, to see if the business has a valid Development Consent)
  • Demolition of dwellings, heritage items or any building within a conservation area
  • Earthworks, filling and clearing of land
  • Subdividing land
  • Strata title subdivision of a building, community title subdivisions and boundary adjustments.

Prior to lodging with Council it is best to familiarise yourself with the steps of how to lodge a DA.


Construction certificate (CC)

An application for a construction certificate (CC) will usually be lodged after your DA is approved or in some cases can be submitted at the same time. The certificate assures that the design and construction material comply with the Building Code of Australia and associate standards or codes and that your proposal is consistent with your DA.

A CC must be obtained before commencing any building and or construction work.

Complying development certificate (CDC)

A complying development certificate (CDC) is the development application and construction certificate combined into the one approval, issued either by Council or a private certifying authority. A CDC can only be issued for development that meets set parameters, as determined by the Department of Planning and Environment. No building or construction work can occur before a CDC is issued.

For further information on complying development and the set parameters visit NSW Department of Planning and Environment.  


Principle Certifying Authority (PCA)

Once a construction certificate/complying development certificate is issued you must notify Council of your choice of principle certifying authority (If you use a private certifier they will usually carry out this on your behalf). The role of a PCA is to ensure that the construction is in accordance with the Building Code of Australia and other relevant Australian Standards.

Occupation Certificate

An occupation certificate must be obtained to reside in the building. All mandatory inspections must have been carried out and completed in accordance with the conditions of the development approval.

Septic tank application

If you don't have access to Hunter Water Corporation Sewer System you will need to have an onsite waste water treatment system. This system will need approval under The Local Government Act. To operate, install/construct and/or alter a sewage management facility complete the application, or to find out more about this, go to Sewage management systems.

Manufactured/transportable homes

Approval is required under the Local Government Act to install a manufactured or transportable home. Development consent may also be required prior to installation. To seek approval please complete and submit section 68 from the Development Application form.

Building certificate

A building certificate can be issued by Council confirming that a building or structure will not need to be demolished and or have major repairs done.

Find a planning application form

Looking for a particular form but can't find it. Check out our Planning forms page for an A-Z list of all forms.