Maitland City Council utility car

Animal control

Our rangers are responsible for any issues to do with dogs and cats and other animals.

Noise complaints

Making a complaint

If there’s a noise issue in your neighbourhood, we recommend you speak to the owner of the property that’s causing the noise. Often your neighbour is unaware of the issue, and the complaint can be resolved without any Council help. Involving Council or other government agencies too early in the negotiation process can result in a breakdown in neighbourhood relationships.

If you have tried to discuss the matter, but are not satisfied with the owner’s response, report the issue to the Community Justice Centre, who specialise in settling differences between neighbours without starting a complicated legal process.

Noise restriction times

During these times, noise should not be heard in a habitable room in a neighbour's home.

Power tools

  • Weekdays - 8.00pm to 7.00am
  • Weekends and public holidays - 8.00pm to 8.00am


  • Sunday to Thursday - 10.00pm to 8.00am
  • Friday or Saturday, or any day preceding a public holiday - 12.00am to 8.00am

Pumps (eg. swimming pools, spa)

  • Weekdays - 8.00pm to 7.00am
  • Weekends and public holidays - 8.00pm to 8.00am

Air conditioners or water heaters

  • Weekdays - 10.00pm to 7.00am
  • Weekends and public holidays - 10.00pm to 8.00am

Motor vehicles (except when entering or leaving)

  • Weekdays - 8.00pm to 7.00am
  • Weekends and public holidays - 8.00pm to 8.00am

You can find the full list of noise restrictions and penalty fines via the EPA’s Noise Regulation.

Illegal parking

Council implemented the ‘Print and Post’ system in July 2023, with fines for parking infringements now issued via Revenue NSW.

Council rangers will continue to monitor parking infringements using new smart technology, AeroRanger which can automatically recognise number plates.

If you’ve seen a car parked illegally, let us know, and we can investigate. For urgent requests, such as your car being blocked, please call us on 02 4934 9700.

Once a fine has been issued, Rangers are unable to withdraw or cancel it. Revenue NSW is responsible for debt recovery.

If you want to appeal a fine, you can:

  • Submit a request to Revenue NSW, or
  • Elect to go to Court to have the matter heard.

Or contact Revenue NSW on 1300 138 118.

Abandoned vehicles

If you see an abandoned vehicle, you can report it to Council and our Rangers will investigate who it may belong to and why it is parked there.

If the owner of the vehicle cannot be identified, Council will impound and remove it from the public street. If the vehicle has been burned out, Council will wait until NSW Police have completed their investigation before impounding.

Once Council tows the vehicle, we may dispose of it through a public auction or destruction depending on the condition of the vehicle.

Or contact us if your vehicle has been towed.

Illegal dumping incidents

If you see rubbish or waste dumped in a public or private place that isn’t a waste facility, let us know and our officers can investigate to try and determine who is responsible.

Penalties for dumping illegally can be up to $250,000 for individuals, $1 million for corporations and on the spot fines of up to $5,000.

See Also
Report an issue
Animal issues
Lost and found animals