Short term rental accommodation
If you are interested in making a property you own available as a holiday rental, it is important that you understand the NSW Government regulatory framework for short term rental accommodation (STRA), effective 1 November 2021.
The new state wide regulatory framework brings in changes to planning, new fire safety requirements and a new STRA Register.
Planning amendments include:
• a new definition for short term rental accommodation, hosted STRA and non hosted STRA
• an exempt development pathway for hosted and non hosted STRA, 365 days per year in Maitland
• an exemption of bookings of 21 consecutive days or more from the day limits for non hosted STRA
• new fire safety standards for dwellings used for STRA and associated penalty notice offences for non compliance, and
• a new Government run online STRA register.
These new definitions benefit homeowners wanting to take advantage of holiday rentals while providing more certainty and safety for local communities and visitors.
For further information on the STRA policy please visit here here.
All lawfully constructed dwellings that are permitted to be used as residential accommodation in all land use zones can be used for short term rental accommodation.
More information on permitted and prohibited dwellings is available here
The new laws impose new obligations on booking platforms, hosts, letting agents and guests.
Property owners must:
• Sign up to a new government run STRA Register
• Adhere to fire safety standards, and
• Adhere to existing strata legislation and the mandatory Code of Conduct for the Short term Rental Accommodation, which outlines minimum standards of behaviour and requirements for hosts, guests, booking platforms, letting agents and facilitators.
For further information on STRA policy please visit the NSW Government Department of Planning, Industry and Environment. Telephone enquiries may be directed to ServiceNSW on 1300 305 695.
For more information on fire safety and/or assistance with the STRA register please visit the NSW Planning Portal.
Prospective local hosts are encouraged to speak with Council’s Duty Planning Officer on 02 4934 9700 (available 8.30am to 12.30pm Monday to Friday at Council's administration building).