The Schools Environment Program aims to provide Maitland schools with support and resource assistance in implementing environmental education and hands on projects.
The Maitland Schools Environment Program encourages partnerships between Council, local schools and the community. It promotes greater environmental awareness, enabling schools to be responsible for and implement environmental improvements in their grounds. Our school environment program can provide schools with:
The Environmental Strategy and Programs Team are able to deliver workshops and presentations on a variety of environmental topics relevant to the stage level of students, at a school or preschool's request.
The following environmental education kits are also currently available for use by schools in their curriculum and the community:
- A Sense of Place in Maitland - This online kit provides information on Maitland’s natural and cultural heritage, environmental issues and their management, and excursion opportunities to explore the local environment.
- Let’s Cycle to School and Clear Maitland’s Air - Through information and activities this online kit looks at the environmental benefits of cycling over using a motor vehicle.
- Water: Our Life - Resource Kit - Through information and hands on activities this online kit aims to provide educators of younger children with a means of discussing the impact of water use and pollution.
(Kits are available for loan from Councils Environmental Strategy and Programs Team by phoning 02 4934 9700. Kits can be loaned for a period of up to two months)
Protecting and Saving Our Water Resources in Maitland - Through the use of this kit students in Years 3-6 have the opportunity to use role play to explore how we can save water and protect local water quality. The kit also provides a mathematics component suitable for use by year 5 and 6 students. The kit is available for loan from Councils Environmental Strategy and Programs Team by phoning 49349700. Kits can be loaned for a period of up to three weeks.
Council's biennial Youth Forum brings together students from local schools in Years 5 to 8 with environmental professionals. The Forum allows participants to partake in formal environmental presentations and hands on activities. For information on the last event, please see the Environmental Youth Forum 2018 proceedings document.
The next Forum is scheduled to be held on May 4, 2021.
Council distributes the Environmental Educator quarterly to all schools across the city. The newsletter provides information on topics of interest, upcoming environmental events and available grants.
- Environmental Educator - Term 3, 2021
- Environmental Educator - Term 2, 2021
- Environmental Educator - Term 1, 2021
- Environmental Educator - Term 4, 2020
- Environmental Educator - Term 3, 2020
- Environmental Educator - Term 2, 2020
Register to receive this newsletter and other environmental education information by completing the Contact Teacher Form.