Council provides a range of services to the community. Find out about what the organisation provides for the community.
Broadly, Council’s services fall into the following twelve categories.
- Asset construction and maintenance - We plan, build and manage community assets including roads, footpaths, car parks, stormwater drains, recreation facilities and cemeteries to meet the needs of a growing community.
- City appearance - We plan and deliver a range of activities that contribute to the character of our City, from parklands to street trees, signage and flags to street sweeping, graffiti removal and litter collection.
- Community services - We enhance and support our community and the many groups within it through active planning, partnerships and provision of high quality, accessible services.
- Cultural and educational services - We contribute to our community’s cultural development and learning through the management and promotion of our libraries, art gallery and museum in addition to initiatives like public art.
- City leadership - We steer the development of a contemporary City and desirable community through the leadership of our elected Councillors and senior staff. Together, these groups represent community interests, making decisions, setting policies and delivering services.
- Economic development and marketing - We contribute to the growth of our local economy through efficient, timely approvals processes, marketing and tourism, as well as supporting high profile events and developing Maitland Gaol as an iconic tourist destination.
- Environmental management - We help protect and enhance our natural environment through planning, partnerships and the delivery of a range of programs.
- Recreation and leisure - We manage our City’s recreation areas including parks, sportsgrounds and green space, as well as aquatic facilities and a range of community buildings including neighbourhood centres and Town Hall.
- Health and safety - We enhance community health and safety through the delivery of a range of programs, as well as help protect our community in times of emergency or disaster.
- Roads and transport - We provide transport routes for vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians through planning and management of road and transport networks in the City.
- Planning and development - We plan and manage the sustainable growth and development of our City, whilst respecting our heritage rich built environment.
- Waste management and recycling - We manage the collection and disposal of our waste, as well as recovering recyclable materials.