The structure of Council
Like all councils in NSW, Maitland City Council is made up of two parts:
- The elected representatives (Councillors), and
- Administration (management and staff).
As an organisation, Council provides a range of services to the community. These include, but aren't limited to:
- Development and construction
- Waste services
- Environmental management
- Economic development
- Community services
- Roads and transport.
Roles of the Mayor and Councillors
Council has a popularly elected Mayor and 12 Councillors who represent the community.
The Mayor typically takes the chair at all Council Meetings at which they are present. If absent, the responsibility falls to the Deputy Mayor.
In addition to the above, the Mayor:
- provides guidance to councillors about what is expected of them
- acts as a key Council spokesperson
- supports good working relations between councillors
- represents Council in civic and ceremonial duties.
The roles of the Councillors include:
- Participating in high level decision making
- Setting the strategic direction of the council, and
- Representing the local community
Council management and staff
Council's General Manager is Jeff Smith CPA GAICD. Jeff was appointed as General Manager in July 2023 and boasts an impressive 29 year career in the private and public sectors.
The General Manager also appoints the Executive Leadership Team, which assists with the overall leadership and governance of the organisation.
Executive Leadership Team:
- Executive Manager People and Performance
- Executive Manager Customer and Digital Services
- Executive Manager Finance
- Director City Planning
- Director City Services
How we plan and deliver services
Council’s planning is driven by the four (4) year Delivery Program, which establishes a list of objectives for the organisation that aims to reach goals set out in the Maitland +10 Community Strategic Plan. It is designed as the single point of reference for all principal activities undertaken by Council.
Following on from that, the Operational Plan is created on an annual basis which details all activities we will undertake, including costs, fees and charges and information on rates. This is all aimed to complete the objectives detailed in the Delivery Program.